Monday, July 1, 2013

Scene 1, Take 1 from the movie, "The Help"

         During the first few days I started to think I was living in the movie, “The Help”.  I would walk the streets of the gated community where black Africans would be taking white children to the playground, black Africans would be washing the white owner’s cars, trimming their trees and walking their dogs.  I would pass these black Africans on the street and they would not speak a word to me but if I said hello they would have a gracious smile and reply back.  It is as if there is some unwritten rule that they are not allowed to talk to me until I have spoken to them first.  Did I forget to mention the black Africans taking care of the children and the homes are in 1950s maid uniforms?  It is mind boggling. 
Every morning there is a parade of black Africans walking down the street to work at their respective homes, if they are not live in domestic help.  Then again around 5pm, they walk back to the gates to grab a ride home in a cramped minivan that is the taxi system here.  Sometimes they have their uniforms on and other times they are in about 4 layers of clothing, including blankets because the winter feels colder to them I guess.
There are 3 domestic workers (as they are referred to) working in our temporary home for the owner and those renting from him.  They come in daily to get our dirty laundry to which they wash, dry, and iron.  They will iron our underwear and Adalyn’s pajamas not because we asked but because that is what they have always done.  During their cleaning time in our home, the domestic will wash all the dirty dishes left in the sink, even those I have cleaned and leaving out to dry she will re-wash.  She will strip our beds and launder our sheets while putting new ones on and then places all of Adalyn’s dolls back on the bed.  She cleans the bathroom, the kitchen, the floors and even wipes down the leather couch daily.  I am not sure if she thinks we are just that dirty that everything needs to be cleaned daily or if that is what she has been told to do. 
Two of the domestic workers do not speak any English but the head one does and so does the gardener/handy man who also helps out in the home during the colder months.  Trying to tell those that don’t speak English that they don’t need to clean something is pretty impossible so I just let them have at it.  Since it is winter here and not much gardening needs to be done, the gardener will wash the cars, even the cars who belong to the owner’s friends if they happen to stop by.  He changes light bulbs, helps with the internet and tv functions, you name it he can do it. 
Now when we move into our permanent home, I do plan to hire a domestic worker at least part time.  Since they make next to nothing, approx. $1.50 an hour I figure it is worth it to help them out financially with a job while I get to enjoy life a little more.  I will also get a gardener and pool guy as it is customary here and I know nothing about pools so I need some help in that area.  Our home will not have live in domestic quarters, but it does have a domestic bathroom.  I have not quite figured out why a separate bath is necessary for the domestic help, but we will see.  After being here for 3 weeks with the domestic help cleaning daily, it still feels weird.  I feel like a lazy person who certainly has time to clean but since they keep all the supplies I am a little limited. 
When I told the head domestic lady that we don’t have cleaning help in America she was pretty shocked.  But if am sure if they only cost $1.50 an hour we all would.  Hence the division in society here between those who have a good income and those barely scrapping by.  It is the land of the haves and the have not’s.  I would have included a picture of the domestic workers here for you to see in their uniforms, but I am not quite comfortable enough to ask for a picture or sneak one just yet.  I look forward to seeing what kind of relationship I develop with our domestic help and I hope I make a positive impact.   



No comments:

Post a Comment