Tuesday, April 29, 2014

My African Pregnancy: Third Trimester

My third trimester being pregnant with baby #2 has thankfully been uneventful.  I have seen my doctor every 4 weeks, then 2 weeks and now every week.  The baby is measuring ahead and according to my doctor will be a "big baby".  Though she states he/she will be between 7-8lbs when born, that is not big by American standards but I guess it is for Africa.  Ultrasound measurements put the baby's feet over 3 inches long, no wonder it can kick so forcefully.  I have seen some chubby cheeks, hair, and even fat rolls on the ultrasound.  Overall, the baby is doing really well and I am thankful the doctor never let the baby's gender slip so we can be surprised when he/she is born.

The other week I also took a tour of the hospital.  I was glad to see that the labor and delivery rooms were pretty much the same.  Though after the baby is born, you are either put in a room with 3 other moms and their babies or hope to get a private room.  I can't imagine trying to get any sleep in a room with 3 other possibly crying babies, but if it is just for 1-2 nights, I can manage.  Mark also won't be able to stay over at the hospital which is fine with me since Adalyn would enjoy being at home with him.  If this was baby #1, I might be more hesitant.  I was surprised by the mother/baby items the hospital provides, originally thinking I would have to bring an entire nursery along.  It was also interesting to see that when the babies are in the nursery they put them in an incubator to keep them warm, instead of swaddling them and leaving them in the rolling bassinet.

Most of their procedures seem to be very similar to what I experienced in America.  Such as when to call the doctor, options for pain relief, delivery processes, and postpartum care.  One appreciated change is that you can eat and drink whatever you want during labor.  I am relieved knowing that I have at least done this before with Adalyn so I have an idea of what I am getting myself into, just not sure of how it will go in a different country.  One aspect that is different is their procedures for a circumcision.  It is not common in South Africa for boys to have circumcisions so they do not perform this procedure at the hospital.  A few weeks after birth I would have to take the baby to a pediatric surgeon to have the circumcision.  Some of the immunizations are a little different, such as the tuberculosis vaccine, and sometimes offered at different stages.  I have my list of when babies are given what in America so I hope to stick to it as close as possible plus add in anything extra recommended for babies here.

With my pregnancy winding down, I am thankful for how smooth this last trimester has gone.  I am still able to golf, walking 9 holes each week and I'm able to keep up with Adalyn.  She has learned that I cannot carry her and that I have to sit down more often.  Adalyn is a mama's girl and before this pregnancy wanted me to do everything so it is nice to see her take to Mark more and their bond strengthen.  Adalyn came at 38 weeks and I think that sounds like a good time for baby #2 to make it's appearance, though my doctor thinks she will see me at my 39 week appointment.  We are excited for this new addition to our family and to share it with our friends and family.
Thankfully the golf course does not enforce their rules that everyone has to
wear a collared shirt since I can't find one to fit my belly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment