Wednesday, December 18, 2013

My African pregnancy

Deciding to have a baby in Africa was not a difficult decision.  There are plenty of Black and Veatch women over here who have done it and without problems.  Prior to arriving in South Africa I had spoken with a friend who had been here for 3 years about medical care, her OB/GYN and obtaining the necessary documents after the baby is born to get back into the US.  Mark and I were not going to put expanding our family on hold just because we were moving to Africa.  I mean people have babies everywhere and since the medical care is good here, we decided to give it a try ourselves.  It's not like Adalyn's delivery was the most smooth sailing birth experience so at least I know what I am capable to enduring.

After arriving in South Africa in June I had set up an appointment with an OB/GYN in July to get a relationship established and make sure all was well.  I really enjoyed our appointment, she was very nice, good bed side manner, explained things well and I felt comfortable seeing her.  And since she is recommended by the US Embassy and several Black and Veatch ladies have gone to her, I felt that she would be a good fit for me.  It was not much more than a month later that I ended up seeing her again cause I was pregnant.

After taking several home pregnancy tests because the pharmacy brand ones never picked up my HCG levels, I finally got a positive one.  I called the office and they scheduled labs to be drawn 2 days apart to make sure all my levels were rising and doubling as they should.  Then 2 weeks later I went in for my first OB appointment.  My doctor does not share her practice with any other doctor so it is just her and the receptionist.  In fact, there are no nurses or nurses aids.  When I check in, the front desk gal does quite a bit from the usual paperwork to bringing me back to the doctor's office, weighing me and getting me set for the appointment.  The doctor then comes in and checks my blood pressure and temp and goes over how I have been feeling.

At every OB appointment I have had an ultrasound.  I mean why bother just hearing your baby's heart beat when you can hear and see it at every visit.  It is nice to have quite the collection of pictures of my baby and seeing him or her on the screen is reassuring that things are progressing nicely.  The pictures seem to be similar quality to those I have of Adalyn and all the equipment looks like what I remembered in the US.  After the ultrasounds are done, I go into her office to chat and go over things before the next appointment.

Appointments in the US seemed to be on a regular schedule where I would see my doctor every 4 weeks in the beginning, then every 2 and finally every week towards the end of my pregnancy.  Well here I have had a slue of appoints and they never have any regularity.  I saw my doctor here at 6 weeks, then again at 8 weeks, at 13 weeks and at 17 weeks.  In the middle of that at 12 weeks I also was referred to another OB to get a more detailed ultrasound to check for Down's Syndrome.

At 10 weeks I had lab work drawn for a Down Syndrome screening.  I remember in the states being offered genetic testing but here it is not an option, you are just sent and that is that.  So off Mark and I went to another hospital to see another OB to have this pregnancy screened.  After discussing our medical history with the 2nd doctor we were then asked if we wanted to know the sex of the baby even before the ultrasound started.  The doctor said that they will disclose the sex of the baby at 12 weeks here and everyone usually knows what they are having by 16 weeks.  Since we did not find out the sex of Adalyn and loved that experience we wanted to do it again.

Everything looked great on the ultrasound which was a clearer picture than at my doctor's office and my lab work came back fine.  I told the doctor if Americans knew they could find out the sex of their baby at 12 weeks I bet they would be paying to fly here just for that since most have to wait until 20 weeks in the US, and for some it is a long wait.  So for now we do not know if our baby is a boy or a girl and with every ultrasound it is tempting to look but we will hold out.  I have to tell my OB at each appointment to not let it slip since we see the baby each time and I don't want her to forget.

I have been very pleased with my OB and my appointments.  I have asked some pretty bizarre questions about labor and delivery, immunizations, safety, etc...but I don't know what to expect or what would be different so I just ask about everything I can think of.  Things are done differently in South Africa and I want to be aware of what I am getting into.  Like the fact that over 70 percent of births are via c-section here compared to around 25 percent in the US.  I did not have a c-section with Adalyn and don't want one this time around unless medically necessary but they seem c-section happy here so we will see.

I have had no issues with my insurance paying for all these things, including an ultrasound at every appointment.  Maybe since it is only a $77 charge for the appointment, the ultrasound and a urine screen is why.  Either way, I am happy to have found good medical care once again in South Africa and enjoying the different experience with baby #2.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment