Tuesday, September 30, 2014

A visit to the doctor

I have experienced a variety of healthcare situation here from inpatient stays to having a baby, doctor visits with the kids and sick visits for myself.  I think the differences and similarities are interesting and figured I would share them.

I have only visited the doctor twice for sick visits so I don’t have a lot of experience, but both visits were quite similar.  Much like in America, you check in at the clinic, complete some simple paperwork, then wait to be seen in a spacious waiting room filled with magazines, a tv, coffee and a variety of teas.  Except in Africa, the nurse does not come to get you, it’s the doctor who brings you back to his/her room and you sit down at their desk for a little chat.  In fact, I have only seen a nurse at the hospital, never in the clinics.   

Looking over my one page history and physical we exchange small talk and he/she asks me what brings me in today.  After our short conversation, we walk about 10 feet over to an exam table which is in the same room as his/her office.  I am checked out and then he/she proceeds to handwrite notes in my chart on what medication I am being prescribed. 

I have been to the same clinic twice to see two different doctors, one in August 2013 and one just this past week.  So far I have 2 pieces of paper in my chart, no formal H&P, and no medication list.  In fact, since it was a year between my visits, I was not even asked to update the medications I had listed down the last time I came in.  No one weighed me, or took my temperature or blood pressure either time.  I was diagnosed with sinus infections each time and prescribed completely different medications.

Both doctors seem to love prescribing medications as I am on 4 medications this time, and 5 last time.  It does not seem to matter what you come in for, as doctors here love probiotics and they come standard with every visit.  The doctors will also write for over the counter medications on your prescription which thankfully the pharmacy will bundle all together for you.  It’s a bummer that the doctor can’t call in medications or send them electronically; instead you must wait in line or drop off your medications and return to pick them up later. 

One thing I love about this clinic despite the fact that they may not be as thorough as my doctors were in America is that of the two times I have called for an appointment, I have been seen within the hour.  I love knowing that I don’t have to wait for good medical care though sometimes what the doctor’s say to me gets lost in translation.  During my last visit the doctor pointed to my nose and said, “Your nose makes you sound stupid.”  I am hoping that was a translation error on his part and not an insult, either way I laughed and shook my head.

It is a nice feeling that we can get comparable medical care, a few minutes from our home for $42 per visit and medications at such low prices you would not believe it.  I feel confident in the doctors I have seen so far, and thankfully I have not had an emergency situation as I am not sure the laid back pace of this country would suit my needs.      


No comments:

Post a Comment