Wednesday, October 29, 2014

A unique church experience

Prior to moving to South Africa our family was very involved in our church at home and it was a priority to find a church here that we would call home.  I had looked online prior to the move to see what type of churches there are in our area and pleased with the options I found.  We were not set on having to find a Methodist church like we attended back home and were open to new experiences.  A month after arriving we visited a large church that was right down the road from our estate.

Growing up I went to a variety of churches, Lutheran, Christian, Methodist, Baptist and Mark was a Lutheran but we decided to try a non-denominational church for a change.  On the first visit we knew this church was like nothing we had been to before.  A full band, concert-like atmosphere with spot lights and video screens, thousands of people standing and cheering as the pastor came in, practically dancing in the aisles as the music played and we took it all in.  The atmosphere and music did draw you in and the sermons were fantastic week after week.  I always left with several take home points that I could apply to my life and felt rejuvenated to start my week.

As the weeks went on I started volunteering at the church, Adalyn was loving the Children's Church, and Mark and I even attended the Wednesday night Bible study.  I was excited each Sunday to go to church and enjoyed meeting the other members.  It was amazing how fast I was hooked on this church, though Mark was a little more reserved about it.

A couple months after attending the church we finally figured out it was a Pentecostal church which did not matter to either of us as we were enjoying the experience.  There were a few of their views that we did not fully understand nor agree with but it did not stop us from going.  Then 3 months after attending the pastor brought up the 13 associate pastors to the front and said he was "inviting the holy spirit into the sanctuary" and tapped them on the head and one by one they each feel backwards and laid on the floor.  Mark and I turned towards each other and with wide eyes and both knew this would be the last time we visited this church.

Looking back on our experience a few things stand out that were probably way too different to us and we were not used to but overlooked them as the experience was new and exciting.  First, the pastor and his family did not come into the service until right before his sermon, no time was spent shaking hands or greeting members (we sat in the row behind him and never met him).  He also left directly after the service, so I don't know how you would ever get to know him.  He came across more as a church celebrity than a pastor.  Second, there was never a single picture or a cross or Jesus to be found.  Third, the pastor only preached the "good news", which to be honest I liked but it did not feel like you were getting the whole Bible.  A few things here and there would cause me to think twice, but obviously I was having such a good time that I was willing to dismiss them.    

Having not grown up in such a church nor been exposed to this type of worship it had become a little too unfamiliar and different that we had a hard time relating and possibly understanding.  Mark was done attending right after people started passing out, though I was still curious (maybe that's the psychology major in me) but willing to search out other churches.  It took a couple of visits to different churches, some our friends attended and we loved several things about it but just did not connect, to find our church home.  Finally, in January we visited Willows Methodist Church right down the street and in one visit felt we found our church home.  I guess the old familiar worship service, songs, customs and beliefs was where our hearts were leading us.  It was an interesting 3 months going to the first church filled with 13 thousand people each Sunday, but I am glad we stayed true to our roots and found a place we love worshiping with our friends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment