Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Shopping and charity all from the comfort of your car

Here in South Africa there is no need to get out of your car to do a little shopping and at the same time you can give to charity.  On every major intersection there are several people walking between cars when the light is red either trying to sell you some goods, hoping you will donate to their charity or just asking for recycling and a bite to eat or drink.

Pretty much all day every day you can't pull up to a red light without being approached by someone.  It is best to keep your window rolled up otherwise your car is going to get a bit more attention than the others.  So what can you buy?  Everything form sunglasses, wiper blades, metal roosters, drinks, car phone chargers and wind up toys.
Selling hats


I once saw a guy wind up a toy dog and put it on the hood of a person's car then do a dance just to make sure the driver saw it I guess.  I rarely see anyone buy anything but of course they would not stand there if it was not profitable.

Selling sun glasses
If you are not in the shopping mood, then there is always a charity to give too.  Mostly I see people with signs stating they are raising funds for traumatized victims or a shelter.  They often have a cash box complete with lock you can slip your money right into.  On a drive to the grocery store I will see about 25 people on the road with items to sell and only a few people outright asking for donations for themselves.  Most of the time in the US, the people on the side of the road want your spare change, and given the state of this country you would think people would be doing that all day long, but it is not as common.  Of course seeing the moms on the side with a baby on their back is hard, especially since they stand so close to moving traffic.

At the corner before turning onto the road that leads to my community there is a young guy in his late teens probably who will come up to your car with a trash bag in his hands and hold out his hands as if he was praying for you to give him trash.  Mostly he collects recycling but he is very pleased when people give him bits of food or even a half drank water bottle.  I once saw a woman give him a package of black socks.  You could easily spend quite a bit of money helping all the people on the road in South Africa.



metal and wood work along with cup and plate holders

Now if you have the time and want to at least venture out of the car a bit, there is plenty for sale on the side of the road.  From handmade picnic benches to metal birds and lattice wood work everything is negotiable and right there for the taking, that is if you can fit in your vehicle.







I did not get a picture of it, but there are 3 signs in a row made out of wood and metal work that say "Peace", "Love", and "Hoop".  I get a chuckle out of it every time I pass by.  Maybe I should just buy it.


bedside tables, headboards and privacy fences (I think)

Metal birds















 But maybe you need wood for the braai (bbq) or a dog house, no need to stop at a store, it's all right there on the road.
If you are looking for someone to paint your house, mow your lawn or help inside the home, there are about 50-75 people daily that stand about 50 yards outside the gates to our community each morning looking for work.
The painters will display all their rollers each day. 

 Our relocation rep told us that most of them are in South Africa illegally from other countries and it is best not to employ them, but someone has to be doing it otherwise they would not stand there.  I have seen a car pull over to the side of the road to inquire about employing someone and to see the flood of people go up to the driver's window was interesting.  The amount of people camped out during the day has even lead to one lady putting up a grocer's stand to sell goods for the people to eat and drink as they wait patiently for work.  There are 2 grocery stores just on the other side of that building pictured, but I bet she can beat their prices.



 I sadly did not get a picture of the amount of people as stopping my car would not have been the best idea.  As you drive by they will hold up a finger to let you know they are interested in work, but I can't imagine I would bring someone into my home whom I just met on the side of the road.
I find it quite impressive the clever ways South Africans have come up with to sell you things, always smiling and welcoming as you pull in line for the red stop light.  I have yet to buy anything but I sure there will come the day when something catches my eye and I go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment